What are the "tactical arrows" really doing ?

Everything you may want to talk about.
Antworten
papache

What are the "tactical arrows" really doing ?

Beitrag von papache » Mo 27. Okt 2014, 11:10

For years, I have been playing PES and using the "tactical arrows" (the ones that can be set for each players in 8 different directions) without any certitude on their actual effects... And I'm still wondering !

Do they correspond to a repositioning of the players during the attack phases (in which case the diagram shows the positions of the players during the defense phases) ?

Or to a repositioning during the defense phases (in which case the diagram shows the positions of the players during the attack phases) ?

Or to something else ?

datschge

Re: What are the "tactical arrows" really doing ?

Beitrag von datschge » Mo 27. Okt 2014, 16:16

The actual effect always depends on the specific player and the position chosen for him. Each player has a list of positions he covers, the primary and usually quite a lot of secondary positions. His natural movements will be within these. When another player leaves an important position, the open space is usually filled by the closest player within whose natural area the space lies.

This is restricted and modified by the role a player has. Notably the roles on the sides force the AI to repeatedly do overlapping runs, as long as those are within his natural area.

My understanding is that "tactical arrows" allow one to restrict and modify that behavior further, i.e. for an AI to stay wide, stay back, repeatedly do overlapping runs whenever possible, don't drop, don't advance etc. But the effect of an arrow is not always intuitive as one has to keep the other influences in mind as well.

I personally don't use "tactical arrows" anymore as the AI usually does a good enough job positioning well. Restricting that often results in unbalanced behavior which can backfire.

papache

Re: What are the "tactical arrows" really doing ?

Beitrag von papache » Mo 27. Okt 2014, 21:12

Makes sense... (y)

Antworten